Facilities & Services
Corryong Cemeteries Trust
The Corryong Cemeteries Trust ¬†has been operated by Council since 1994 when the Shires of Upper Murray and Tallangatta amalgamated.
The first burial in the Cemetery was in July 1889 of a nine year old child. The site had been chosen but not yet declared by the Public Health Department at the time of the child‚Äôs interment. However, it is believed the father did not want to have his son buried at the Millers Hill Cemetery and took matters into his own hands. He dug the gravesite, east to west so that the coffin would face the rising sun. Others followed and this is why there is a line of graves running diagonally across the Church of England portion of the Memorial Section of the Cemetery.
A notice was inserted in the Government Gazette on 24 October 1890 announcing the appointment of William Wheeler, Hugh Harris, James Paton, Robert Gordon Kiell and Arnold Playle as Trustees of the Corryong Public Cemetery.
The Trust held their first meeting on 10 February 1891. Hugh Harris was appointed Chairman and Arnold Playle was appointed as Secretary. By this time there had been nine burials and as no fees had been set there were no funds available.
A Government Grant was applied for to fence the area. The ten acre site was then divided in two. The top three acres was selected for burials. This was then divided into five portions, one each for the following denominations:¬† ¬†
- ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Church of England;
- ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Catholic;
- ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Methodist;
- ¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬†¬† Presbyterian; and
- ¬† ¬† ¬† ¬† The fifth portion for other denominations, or in the case of the death of an unknown stranger.
In the interim, the lower seven acres were to be let for grazing.¬†Following Mr Wheeler's resignation in 1906, he was replaced by Mr Williams.¬†
New regulations, announced in 1913, directed that the Roman Catholic Church, Church of England, Presbyterian and the Methodist Church were to appoint two trustees each to the Cemeteries Trust.¬†The first eight trustees were:¬† ¬†
|Roman Catholic||Church of England||Presbyterian||Methodist|
|D J Cronin||R Ingles||J Paton||H Sheather|
|W Braniff||A Playle||R Thomas||H Nankervis|
Mr James Paton was elected Chairman and Mr Arnold Playle remained as Secretary.¬†Mr D.J. Cronin was elected as Chairman in 1915 and held this position until 1945.¬†Now that Council runs the Trust, the Councillors act as the Trustees.
Since 1889 there have been 2,151 burials at the Corryong Cemetery. If you would like further information download the Interment Register below.
Any enquiries about the Trust can be directed to Council‚Äôs Corryong office on (02) 6076 2160.¬† ¬† ¬†¬†
Towong Shire Council manages the Corryong Cemeteries Trust and you may contact Customer Service staff on 02 60762160 to make a booking or for general enquiries.
Other cemeteries within the Shire are managed by individual Cemetery Trusts, details as under:¬†
|Bethanga||Patricia (Tricia) McFarland||6026 4622|
|Cudgewa||Coral Briggs||6076 1447|
|Granite Flat||Cheryl Walsh||6072 3588|
|Granya||Marjorie Williams||6072 9541|
|Mitta Mitta||Leo La Fontaine||6072 3596|
|Tallangatta||Kerrie Attree||6072 5347|
|Walwa||Adrian (Ace) Coughlan||6037 1382|
|Yabba||Campbell Paton||6071 7235|