Local laws and permits
Towong Shire residents and visitors should be aware of local laws and activities requiring a permit.
Towong Shire Council has the power to make local laws under Section 71 of the Local Government Act 2020:
A Council may make local laws for or with respect to any act, matter or thing in respect of which the Council has a function or power under this Act or any other Act.
Download local laws
- Local Law No.1 of 2020 - Common Seal and Miscellaneous Penalties (PDF, 2.1MB)
- Amenity Local Law 2021 - No. 2 (PDF, 426KB)
Permits are required for a number of activities within the Shire including (but not limited to):
- lighting a fire/burning off during safe periods
- advertising signs and 'A' frames
- droving livestock
- grazing livestock
- private access to public land.
If you're not sure whether you need a permit, contact our Local Laws Officer on 1300 365 222 or email@example.com.
Apply for a permit
Apply for a permit using the following application form: