High Country Rail Trail Draft Masterplan Unveiled
Council have developed a draft Masterplan to help guide future development of the High Country Rail Trail and now invite your feedback.
Our work in developing the draft Masterplan began back in 2020 when we started the community consultation process with pop-up information sessions, surveys and meetings with landowners.
As part of delivering the project, a steering committee with representation from Council, DELWP, Parklands Albury Wodonga, HVP Plantations and community rail trail advisory groups was established to continue to guide the Masterplan’s development.
Mayor Cr Andrew Whitehead said the High Country Rail Trail Masterplan will assist in guiding the future development of the High Country Rail Trail and stimulating the local economy by attracting the growing cycle tourism market to the Upper Murray.
“The extension of the High Country Rail Trail from Shelley to Corryong will provide a very attractive tourist offering and will be a great boost for economic development and local businesses,” he said.
“The trail will be a great asset for our community and will help make Towong Shire an even greater place to live.”
“Following an extensive consultation process this masterplan provides the community with a clear picture of the future works that are required.”
The High Country Rail Trail draft Masterplan includes:
- A proposed alignment for an extension from Shelley to Corryong (via Cudgewa)
- Key access points for cyclists, parking and trailheads and associated infrastructure
- The identification of bridge crossing, fencing, gateway and culvert requirements as well as clear emergency access points
- The development of a strong brand for signage, marketing and promotion
- Cost estimates and staging of project components
The development of the Masterplan is supported by $190,000 in funding from the Federal Government’s National Bushfire Recovery Agency’s Regional Tourism Bushfire Recovery Grant. In addition to the Masterplan, Council will also deliver the design and installation of consistent signage for the existing trail and the implementation of a significant cycle tourism marketing campaign over three years.
The Masterplan is available on Council’s website at towong.vic.gov.au, or you can request a copy by contacting Council on 1300 365 222 or email@example.com.
Feedback and submissions can be made by:
- Phone: 1300 365 222 and speak to the project manager, Kerissa Heritage
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: PO Box 55, Tallangatta Victoria 3700
Feedback closes on Sunday 12 February at 5pm.