The COVID-19 pandemic has had a huge global impact. To stay safe in Towong Shire, it's important to understand what restrictions are in place and how they impact your usual activities.
If you suspect you may have coronavirus (COVID-19) call the dedicated hotline 1800 675 398 – open 24 hours, 7 days.
Council offices and services
Council Offices and services are now operating as normal. Please ensure you check in using the Service Victoria QR code.
How we're responding to COVID-19
Towong Shire Council is responding to the pandemic by:
- working closely with the Department of Health and monitoring health alerts to support our staff and community as best we can
- holding regular Senior Management Team meetings to assess government directives and determine how to communicate them most effectively
- liaising with other local government agencies, including the Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV) and neighbouring councils
- asking Council staff to work from home where possible.
Support for communities and businesses
COVID-19 Hardship Policy
We know these are difficult times for everyone. The impact on the economic wellbeing of our communities will be significant.
The COVID-19 Hardship Policy, introduced by Council at the April meeting, will help ease the pressure for those facing financial hardship. It will provide more flexibility through payment plans or deferment, without interest being applied.
Please contact our Property and Rates team on 1300 365 222 to discuss an option that works for you.
The Australian Government is acting decisively in the national interest to support households and businesses during the pandemic. For details, visit the Treasury's website.
Mental health support
After the trauma of the bushfires, and with the ongoing challenge of the COVID-19 pandemic, it's normal to feel scared, overwhelmed, anxious and confused.
If you're feeling this way, help is available. Treating these symptoms early can reduce the risk of future mental health issues.
Advice and resources can be found through the following services:
- Beyond Blue
- Head to Health through the Australian Government
- Bushfire Counselling | 1300 514 811
- Corryong Health | (02) 6076 3200
- MensLine Australia | 1300 789 978
Support for businesses
Businesses can quickly access the latest information on COVID-19 by calling the Business Victoria hotline on 13 22 15. The hotline provides the latest advice on how to keep workplaces and employees safe, as well as the latest requirements on events and indoor gatherings.
You can also find information on Business Victoria's website.
Find out more
For more information on COVID-19 and the response to the pandemic, visit: