You need a permit to collect firewood from roads under Towong Shire Council's jurisdiction.
About firewood collection permits
A permit application form is available below or from either of Council’s offices in Tallangatta and Corryong.
Please email your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at one of our Council offices. Once received, your application will be assessed against Council’s criteria and approved permits issued via email within 48 hours.
Permits are free and subject to the following conditions:
- They're valid for a specific time – either:
- 1 April – 30 June of the same year (autumn season)
- 1 September – 30 November of the same year (spring season).
- You can only collect firewood from roads or sections of roads highlighted as having a low-medium conservation value.
- The approval only relates to timber already fallen – you cannot fell or lop any standing tree (dead or green).
- You must not obstruct the road during collection. Vehicles must be parked clear of the carriageway at all times.
- You must leave the roadside neat and tidy, with all tops of timber etc. neatly stacked in heaps.
- You must not damage the road. Any damage will be made good at the permit holder's expense and to the satisfaction of Council.
- The permit holder will be liable for, and indemnify the Council against, all actions, claims and demands whatsoever arising out of any damage caused by the exercise of powers conferred by the granting of the permit.
- The permit will be revoked if you do not comply with the above conditions.
Please note, to be eligible to collect firewood from a Towong Shire Council managed road reserve, you must be a resident/ratepayer of Towong Shire.
Roads under VicRoads jurisdiction
VicRoads do not allow collection of firewood from roads under their jurisdiction, which include:
- Murray Valley Highway
- Murray River Road
- Granya Gap Road
- Dartmouth Road
- Cudgewa Valley Road
- Lockharts Gap Road
- Nariel Road from Dunstans Logging Road.
For information on collecting firewood on public land, visit Forest Fire Management Victoria's website.
To get help finding out if the road you would like to collect from is permitted, please contact Council on 1300 365 222 or email@example.com