Bushfire planning assessment is covered by Clause 44.06 and Clause 52.47 of the Towong Planning Scheme.
You can find out which overlays and zones affect your property by using the Victorian Government Land and Survey Spatial Information (LASSI).
Once you've identified your property, click on it and select the 'Build Map' Tab. When you scroll to the bottom you'll find an option to select the overlays and zones covering the property.
Be sure to refresh the map to load your selections.
Planning within the Bushfire Management Overlay
If your property is in an area covered by the Bushfire Management Overlay, you'll need a permit to construct a building or construct and carry out works associated with:
- accommodation (including a dependent person’s unit)
- child care centre
- education centre
- leisure and recreation
- place of assembly
- retail premises
- timber production.
This does not apply to any of the following:
- if a schedule to this overlay specifically states that a permit is not required
- a building or works consistent with an agreement under Section 173 of the Act prepared in accordance with a condition of permit issued under the requirements of Clause 44.06-3
- an alteration or extension to an existing building used for a dwelling or a dependent person’s unit that is less than 50 per cent of the gross floor area of the existing building
- an alteration or extension to an existing building (excluding a dwelling and a dependent person’s unit) that is less than 10 per cent of the gross floor area of the existing building
- a building or works ancillary to a dwelling if the following requirements are met
- the combined floor area of all buildings ancillary to the dwelling does not exceed 150 square metres
- the building or works are located more than 10 metres from any existing building used for accommodation
- a building or works associated with timber production provided the buildings or works are not within 150 metres of accommodation or land zoned for residential or rural residential purposes.
A planning permit application under the Bushfire Management Overlay should contain these documents as a minimum:
- planning permit application form
- planning fees (depending on the cost of development – call the Planning team on (02) 6071 5100 for a quote)
- copy of the title or a title search
- site plan
- building design/schematics
- bushfire hazard site assessment
- bushfire hazard landscape assessment
- bushfire management statement.