The subdivision process occurs in four main stages:
- application for a planning permit for subdivision under the provisions of the Towong Planning Scheme
- certification of the plan of subdivision, which approves the subdivision under the Subdivision Act 1988
- a statement of compliance, which is the final approval stating that all requirements under the permit and the Subdivision Act have been met
- lodgement of the documents at Land Victoria, which allows new titles to be issued for each lot created under the subdivision.
You must make an application for a planning permit with our planning department for us to consider the subdivision.
The ability to apply for a planning permit does not necessarily result in approval. We must decide whether the proposal will produce acceptable outcomes in terms of the municipal planning scheme – just because we can grant a permit does not imply that we should or will.
Our processing of an application to subdivide land will normally include referral of the application to external authorities such as utility companies (water, gas and electricity) for their consideration. These authorities have a minimum of twenty-eight days to comment on an application and often require conditions to be placed on any planning permit issued.
If we have issued a planning permit, an application for certification of the plan of subdivision must be submitted by a licensed land surveyor.
The application must include:
- an application form (Form 1)
- the application fee
- two copies of the plan of subdivision (A4 size)
- two A3 heavyweight copies of the plan of subdivision.
The plan of subdivision must be prepared by a licensed land surveyor.
An application for certification must be referred to the relevant authorities (e.g. water, gas, electricity, roads) to make sure the plan meets their requirements.
Once all authorities have consented to certify the plans, the plan of subdivision can be certified by Council.
Once a plan of subdivision has been certified and engineering plans have been approved, works on the subdivision can commence.
A statement of compliance will be issued once:
- your surveyor has provided a Form 23 to Council
- all planning permit conditions have been met
- all authorities have provided their consent that all their requirements have been satisfied.
Once the certified plan of subdivision and the statement of compliance have been issued to the licensed land surveyor, the plan can be lodged with Land Victoria. This will enable the issue of new certificates of title.