Towong Shire

Upper Murray Fires 2020








The fouth and final round is now open, closing 5pm Friday 24 September 2021.

On Tuesday 7 July 2020, Council established a $750,000 Community Recovery Grants Program to support Towong Shire communities impacted by the bushfires. 

The objective of the grant program is to provide funding for projects and activities deemed essential for the recovery and renewal of our communities, and is open to not-for-profit organisations and community groups across Towong Shire. Grants of up to $5,000 are available.  

The program is funded by the Commonwealth Government’s Bushfire Recovery Program ($550,000) and the State Government’s Community Recovery and Resilience Grants stream of the Community Recovery Package ($200,000).

Rounds 1, 2 and 3 have now closed. 


How to apply

The Application Form for Round 4 is available to download below. Please refer to the Guidelines before beginning your application.

A successful applicant in previous rounds must have acquitted one grant before being eligible for another.


Acquittal Resources


Successful Applicants


Further Information

If you require further information please contact the Upper Murray Community Recovery Hub on 1800 518 222 or


When people lose their home during a bushfire, providing access to temporary housing is a vital step towards recovery.

Clause 52.07 of the planning scheme allows people to set up a temporary dwelling on their land without a planning permit. The clause also applies to damaged or destroyed businesses. It allows business owners to set up temporary premises without a planning permit.

There are still some things you will need to do before you can set up a temporary dwelling, including letting Council know of your plans. Start by completing the information form available here.

For more information, visit

Or to talk through your planning and building requirements with Council’s Planner, Elke Cummins, call 1800 518 222 or email


Council has made submissions to both the Inspector General of Emergency Management 2019-2020 Fire Season Inquiry and the Royal Commission into Natural National Disaster Arrangements. 


Establishing Community Recovery Committees

The process of establishing Community Recovery Committees (CRCs) is underway across the Shire with residents driving their own recovery and way forward. 

The Upper Murray Com­munity Recovery Com­mittee will consider the entire region, including cross-border communities, and broader projects like tourism and telecommunications.

Local CRCs in the small towns and valleys will decide on proj­ects to benefit their own areas. CRCs are being established in the Upper Murray, Corryong, Cudgewa, Towong, Thow­gla, Walwa and surrounds, Biggara, Tint­aldra, Lucyvale/Berringama, Nariel Valley and The Peninsula.

If you would still like to register to join a group, contact the Recovery Team on 1800 518 222 or drop into the Recovery Hub.

Why Community Recovery Committees?

The role of a Community Recovery & Resilience Committee is to focus on broader recovery priorities for the Shire.

CRCs will have representatives from Local Action Groups, as well as key leaders and community representatives from across the region like business leaders, community organisations, young people and bushfire affected community members who may not be a member of a Local Action Group.

CRCs will be asked to:

  • Consult with communities and represent community views regarding recovery.
  • Identify community recovery priorities for input into the Towong Shire Municipal Recovery Plan.
  • Provide input and feedback regarding recovery activities to Towong Shire & Government.
  • Help the community to understand recovery planning, recovery activities and what support is available to them.
  • Advocate on behalf of the community to ensure recovery meets the needs of communities and is not impeded.
  • Review and evaluate recovery activities and the work of the CRRC and other government stakeholders.

What is a Working Group?

We have established five Working Groups to focus on specific areas of recovery:

  • Economic recovery
  • Built environment recovery (both public and private)
  • Agricultural recovery
  • Social recovery
  • Environmental recovery

Working Groups comprise representatives from Towong Shire Council and Bushfire Recovery Victoria who have responsibility for delivering activities across the five areas listed above.

The role of Working Groups is to:

  • Contribute to the Municipal Recovery Plan
  • Coordinate the activities of government departments and agencies at the municipal level
  • Prioritise resources
  • Monitor delivery of actions and escalate issues as required

Recovery Group FAQ’s - For information on how many groups you can join, expertise needed and time commitments.

How can I apply to be on a group or a committee?

All you need to do to register your interest is call Towong Shire recovery staff on 1800 518 222 or send us an email at and we will call you back.

We will ask you some simple questions so we can get an understanding of where you live and what you are interested in.

This also gives you an opportunity to ask any questions you may have.

Can I join more than one group or committee?

Yes. Although we are seeking the most diverse representation possible and the number in each group needs to be workable.

Do I need special expertise or equipment to be on a group or committee?

The only requirement is that you are a resident of Towong Shire (including if you own a holiday home in the shire) and are interested in being involved in community-driven recovery.

We want to see diverse representation from our community across Local Action Groups, Working Groups and Community Recovery & Resilience Committees.

How will I contribute to meetings?

Due to COVID-19, numbers at meetings are limited to 20 though you may be able to join via Zoom. If you are concerned about being able to contribute in  this way, don’t let that stop you applying. Just discuss what might be possible with one of our recovery staff on 1800 518 222 or via email at

How much time will I need to be on a group or committee?

Most groups will meet once or twice a month for about 2 hours per meeting. Additional time may be required outside of the meetings to further understand community priorities.

We are asking community members to commit to Community Recovery & Resilience Committees for at least six months. This will ensure we can make good progress in recovery and also allow different people to participate over time.

Local Action Groups are less formal and membership/timing will be often be dependent on availability.

If you feel like you would like to contribute but you are worried about the time you have available, that is fine. Just get in contact with us on 1800 518 222 or email at so we can discuss options.

  • Recovery services have continued to operate virtually throughout COVID-19. With the current restrictions the Hub is now closed for drop-in visits from the public. Local Area Recovery Officers are available by phone or email. If you need one-on-one assistance in relation to a specific issue, please make an appointment so we can schedule the available space. Call 1800 518 222 or email recovery@


  • As part of Council's Bushfire Recovery Team, dedicated Recovery Officers are now working together with communities to help determine local priorities and key recovery initiatives, and to deliver on these activities. Contact your Local Area Recovery Officer (LARO) directly on the following details.
    • Cudgewa, Berringama, Lucyvale Contact Tony Irwin on 0427 869 019
    • Walwa & Cross-Border, Mt Alfred, Burrowye, Guys Forest, Jingellic, Tintaldra, Tooma Contact Kaye Nankervis on 0436 445 187
    • Towong, Thowgla, Biggara Contact Eden Cook on 1800 518 222
    • Corryong, Business community, Nariel Valley Contact: Jai Edwards on 0438 762 442
    • Tallangatta Valley, Mitta Valley, Biggara, The Peninsula Contact: The Recovery Hub on 1800 518 222
Agriculture Recovery | Agriculture Victoria  0428 975 728 Kylie Macreadie
Clean-Up Program | Grocon 1800 560 760 or to register
Counselling Mental Health | Gateway Health 1300 514 811
Counselling Mental Health | Upper Murray Family Care 02 6055 8000
Counselling | Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA) 9am–4.30pm daily
DELWP | Fencing replacement on DELWP property 02 6071 5359
Rural Outreach Service | Albury Wodonga Health 03 5722 2677
Emergency Mental Health Support | Albury Wodonga Health 1300 104 211
Financial Assist | Centrelink 10am–3pm Wed–Fri
Financial Assist | Rural Aid 1300 327 624
Financial Assist + Available Grants | Rural Finance 1800 260 425
Financial Counselling + Grant Applications | AgBiz Assist 1300 834 775 or
Financial Counselling | Anglicare 1800 244 323
Financial Counselling | Small Business Mentoring 0409 016 517 Ross Jennings
Foodshare | Corryong Pastor Carol Allen 0427 762 051
Legal | Disaster Relief 1800 113 432
Recovery Planners | Towong Shire Elke 0430 187 016
Social Services | DHHS 1800 560 760
Social Services + Financial Relief | The Red Cross 1800 733 276 or
Social Services + Financial Relief | The Salvation Army 1300 662 217
Water | Potable | Cudgewa and Corryong standpipe | NE Water via Towong Shire Council 1800 518 222 


  • Bushfire Case Support Program - a single point of contact through Bushfire Recovery Victoria for information, financial support, insurance, counselling and small business advice. Call 1800 560 760 or email
  • Bushfire Recovery Programs and Initiatives -the latest initiatives and factsheets from Bushfire Recovery Victoria covering support for small business, tourism, financial relief, fencing and farming.


  • To assist in fast-tracking the rebuild process for farming communities, at the February 2020 Council meeting an exemption was made to the building regulations and fees for unoccupied farm sheds.
  • Under the National Construction Code the exemption applies to ‘Class 10A’ buildings (the only class of building that can be exempted by Council). The building is to be constructed within a fire-affected area on farm land and is to be used for farming purposes.
  • For safety reasons, the building is to be built by a suitably qualified and experienced company using plans, materials and construction methods that are considered appropriate for a building of its type.
  • To be considered, a basic application form needs to be completed together with a site plan. A planning permit and other regulations may still apply.
  • If you are looking to replace a farm shed please contact the Recovery Team prior to the commencement of work. A Council Planner will work with you to confirm what documentation and permits are relevant to your property. Call 1800 518 222 or email


Community Recovery Grants Application Form - Round 4 (PDF 253 KB)

Community Recovery Grants Application Form - Round 4 - Editable (PDF 232 KB)

Community Recovery Grant Guidelines - Round 4 (PDF 183 KB)

Last updated: 13 August 2021