Towong Shire

When do I need a building permit?

You are generally required by law to obtain a building permit whenever you build, extend or modify the use of a building. The Building Act 1993 and Building Regulations 2006 are legislation which governs building in Victoria. 

The Municipal Building Surveyor administers the Building Act and Regulations and performs the following functions:

  • Provides advice about requirements under State legislation;
  • Assessment and issue of building permits;
  • Performs mandatory inspections for the construction of new buildings, fences and swimming pools, demolition of buildings and additions and renovations to buildings; and
  • Enforcement of legislation by issuing building notices, building orders and emergency orders where necessary.

The cost of a permit varies according to the scope of the works. Base fees can be found in the 'Fees and Charges' section or contact the building surveyor for a quotation. Towong Shire Council shares its building services function with neighbouring Indigo Shire Council, based in Yackandandah. 

Building permit applications lodged with Towong Shire Council are processed as soon as possible. To track the status of your application, call Council's Building Services Department on 1300 365 003.



Last updated: 01 November 2017