Towong Shire

Bushfire Planning

Bushfire planning assessment is covered by Clause 44.06 and Clause 52.47 of the Towong Planning Scheme.

You can find out which overlays and zones affect your property by using the Victorian Government Land and Survey Spatial Information (LASSI). Once you have identified your property, click on it, then select the “Build Map” Tab. Scrolling to the bottom you will find an option to select the overlays and zones covering the property. Be sure to refresh the map to load your selections!

A permit is required to construct a building or construct or carry out works associated with the following uses in areas covered by the Bushfire Management Overlay:

  • Accommodation (including a dependent person’s unit)
  • Child care centre
  • Education centre
  • Hospital
  • Industry
  • Leisure and recreation
  • Office
  • Place of assembly
  • Retail premises
  • Timber production

 This does not apply to any of the following:

  • If a schedule to this overlay specifically states that a permit is not required.
  • A building or works consistent with an agreement under Section 173 of the Act prepared in accordance with a condition of permit issued under the requirements of Clause 44.06-3.
  • An alteration or extension to an existing building used for a dwelling or a dependent person’s unit that is less than 50 percent of the gross floor area of the existing building.
  • An alteration or extension to an existing building (excluding a dwelling and a dependent person’s unit) that is less than 10 percent of the gross floor area of the existing building.
  • A building or works ancillary to a dwelling if the following requirements are met:.
  • The combined floor area of all buildings ancillary to the dwelling does not exceed 150 square metres.
  • The building or works are located more than 10 metres from any existing building used for Accommodation.
  • A building or works associated with Timber production provided the buildings or works are not within 150 metres of Accommodation or land zoned for residential or rural residential purposes.

A Planning Permit application required under the Bushfire Management Overlay should contain these documents as a minimum:

Application for Planning Permit (PDF 512 KB)

Guidelines for meeting Victoria's Bushfire Planning requirements (PDF 3749 KB)

Last updated: 04 May 2017